Bok Choi Colcannon




Colcannon is something we have enjoyed around our table before I even knew to call it that. I have made many variations of this potato dish using cabbage of various kinds and onions of many kinds also. Being a tradition at this time of the year, I knew it was time to make it again, this time trying something yet different. I recently discovered an asian market not too far away and they have a wonderful produce department. We enjoy bok choi made other ways and since it is in the cabbage family I thought it would make a perfect combination along with green onions & potatoes for this year's colcannon. My "recipe" is not really a precise one but it works for me. I used several large russet potatoes--peeled, chunked and boiled in salted water. Stir fried about a pound of baby bok choi & 1 bunch of green onions in about 2 tablespoons of butter. The bok choi & onions were roughly chopped. Mashed the potatoes (this time with about a half stick of butter and a bit of half & half) & then added the almost browned greens to the potatoes & mixed them together. Very good as the bok choi is quite mild & the green onion added just the right extra something.

You will want to visit http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/ for all of the great Weekend Herb Blogging.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well, colcannon is one of my favorite things to eat. I've never made it with bok choy, but I know it would be delicious. Yum!
Anonymous said…
That is a nice pic of the bokchoys..Colcannon,never heard of that dish? Is it American or Irish?
Fran said…
Hi Tin--Hope YOU are having a good weekend!
Sher--I really liked the mild taste of the bok choy but think the green onions helped the dish too.
Hello Gini--traditional Irish. Lots of people serve it around St. Patrick's Day. There are lots of versions of it.
Good to see everyone!
Valentina said…
Hi Fran, I'm a big fan of bok choi. I love stir frying it with a bit of shoyo. As for the irish dish, not familiar with it. Should do some research.
Kalyn Denny said…
Fran, looks great. I love the baby bok choi.
Anonymous said…
Fabulous!

I once saw a show on the Food Network where they travelled to Ireland and had someone make authentic colcannon. I remember my mouth watering. That's how I felt when I saw your photo ... and what a great idea with the bok choy!
Ed Tep said…
Fran - I would never have thought to combine bok choy with potatoes! Great idea!
Unknown said…
interesting use of our "siew pak choy" (cantonese for "little white vegetable", our local name for bokchoy), must try it one day!
SugarCocoon said…
Thanks for this recipe, will definitely have to try it! I lvoe bok choy and m constantly thinking of ways to cook it besides stir frying with oyster sauce.

Popular Posts