Easy As Pie--Dough

This is the easiest ever pie dough (crust). If anyone has ever had problems with making a pie dough I invite you to try this. My Mom, Grandmothers, and Aunts have all been wonderful bakers and I thought I just couldn't make an edible pie until a friend at work (Jeanne) told me about this wonderful recipe that I have used for years. You can use it for sweet or savory fillings. If you are making a 1 crust pie just use half and freeze half. You can also just take the extra dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar for a little extra treat. The pictures show the the steps. First--Mix 2 cups all purpose flour with a pinch of salt in a large bowl (you can omit the salt). Second--Mix 2/3 cup oil (I like canola--it is light) and 1/3 cup milk (you can use cream, half & half, skim, whatever you like). Third--mix the liquid into the dry with a fork. It will make a sticky mixture but don't panic. Form the dough into a ball. Halve the dough and form 2 dough balls. Roll each ball out between pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Proceed as you would with any pie recipe. Just know that this will not be like a fancy dough with chilled butter that is kneaded and rested. It is very forgiving. If it tears in the pie plate just patch it up--it will be fine. These pictures show the making of a Cherry Pie which we had on Thanksgiving. Next post I plan on showing the Cherry Pie recipe. Hope if you try this it is successful for you. It has been very consistent for me--always flaky. Happy baking .


Comments

*fanny* said…
Hi Fran, that pie dough looks nice and easy to make. I can't wait for thr cherry pie recipe. I LOVE cherries.
Fanny
Anonymous said…
Hi Fran--I've never made a pie crust. I'm just not good with rolling things out to a consistent thickness and then moving it, and then...oh, it's all so intimidating! But I want to believe you when you say this one is easy!

Thanks for stopping by my site and welcome to the world of food blogging! I'm just about 6 weeks ahead of you, so we're both new.
Kalyn Denny said…
Hey, thanks for visiting Kalyn's Kitchen. I'm glad I'm not the only food blogger who likes meatloaf.
Joe said…
Great demo on pie crusts Fran! I'm jealous of your citrus tree!
Anonymous said…
Hi Fran,
Thanks for stopping by Weekly Dish. My aunts and grandmother all swear by a homemade pie crust very similar to this one...I haven't had the energy to try it yet (those Pilsbury ones sure are easy), but you may have inspired me. I look forward to hearing more about your family recipes!

Popular Posts