Apple Pie

Start with these
Do This--Peel, Core, Slice
Eat This!
This is my favorite apple pie recipe. I found the book that I took it from--it is the Crisco American Pie Celebration (1989). It contains many wonderful recipes from different regions of the U.S. I don't use solid shortening for my crust. Some of you may have read my November 28 post about pie crust and know that I am a fan of oil crust, so that is what I used for this pie. If you would like the crust recipe I use just go to the archive & check it out.

Ingredients--

Sugar (1 cup)
AP Flour (1/3 cup)
Cinnamon (1 tsp)
Nutmeg (1/8 tsp)
Salt (1/8 tsp)
Apples (I used 9 cups today because we like lots of apples) peeled & thinly sliced
Butter (2 tbsp)

Procedure--

Heat oven to 425 degrees F

For filling--combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle over apple slices. Toss lightly until apple slices are completely coated. Spoon filling into unbaked pie shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust. Flute edges. Cut slits in top crust to vent the steam. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until top crust begins to brown. Reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees F. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes. All ovens are different, so watch your pie. Cooking times can vary. Cool until barely warm or room temperature before cutting & serving.

It is great served with vanilla ice cream or a slice of cheddar cheese or even just some cream or milk over the top.

My DH always says "this is the best one ever". As my Grandma would say --he knows which side his bread is buttered on. (To keep the pies coming!)

Happy Baking,
Fran

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful -fran, awesome apple pie, I would love to try this soon . The pie has a right texture going by the picture.
Fran said…
Thank you Lera and Paz--
It is not the most beautiful pie in the world but it does taste good. Have a good week!
ScaryShari said…
Your apple pie looks and sounds delicious! And your recipe sounds simple enough that even I could make it without messing up! *grin* Aside from peach pie, which is my #1 fave, apple pie is a close second.

BTW, what type of apples are those in the first photo? Are they Pink Lady? They are really beautiful.

I hope 2006 has started well for you and your family. It seems like it has. Keep those great photos and recipes coming! :) And please drop on by my blog when you have time. I tend to write more about plants than about food, but one of my New Year's goals (note I did not say 'resolutions' haha) is to improve my cooking skills and expand my baking skills! And my blog will definitely hear about it when I do. ;)

Happy day,
Shari in Cali.
Anonymous said…
Looks scrumptious!
Fran said…
Welcome CJ, Shari, & Rorie--thank you for stopping by. The apples were huge. I couldn't believe it only took 4 apples to make 9 cups! They are Jonagold. I usually like to make pie with Granny Smith since they are tart but I had these. I love to eat Pink Lady. Have you tried Honey Crisp? Yum.
*fanny* said…
Fran i absolutely adore your blog. All those steps by steps are so yummy. Well done.

PS your cat is so so sweet.

Love
Fannt
Ghone said…
I was with you for the first two photos then realised there was a little work to do to achieve the third photo!
Looks scrummy!
Anonymous said…
Fran--That first picture, of the apples, is just unbelievable!
Unknown said…
love your three-step approach, too bad I can't skip directly from the 2nd step to the 3rd step :)
Fiber said…
Wow - that apple pie looks amazing. Thanks for stopping by 28Cooks!

Popular Posts