Apple Cranberry Pie


Don't touch that pie! It was the last piece of evidence that it existed and I wanted a picture. It was a really good pie and the first fruit pie I had made without following someone's recipe. It had the perfect balance of sweet apples and tart cranberries. We have been eating cranberries -- craving cranberries since before Thanksgiving. I have been buying them in 3 pound bags at Costco to satisfy the hunger. They have appeared in sweet and savory dishes and we love them. Here goes the recipe as I made it and if you decide to make a similar pie you may want to adjust the sugar according to the sweetness of your apples.


Crust--

2 Cups AP Flour

2/3 Cup Canola Oil

1/3 Cup Buttermilk

Pinch of Salt

1/4 Tsp freshly Grated Nutmeg


Mix dry ingredients.

Mix wet ingredients and add to dry.
Combine until a ball of dough can be formed.
Divide in half and roll into rounds between pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper.

Place one round in the bottom of 9" pie plate & reserve the other round for topping the fruit once it is added to the pie plate.


Filling--

6 or 7 Gala Apples (I was short 1 Gala so I used 1 Honey Crisp) peeled and sliced thinly

1 Cup Cranberries

2/3 Cup Sugar

1/3 Cup AP Flour

1 Tsp Saigon Cinnamon

1/4 Tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg

1 jar (4 plus ounces) of baby Apple/Cran Juice

Pinch of Salt

4 Tbsp Butter


In a large bowl combine apples/cranberries with juice. Combine dry ingredients and stir into apple/cranberry mixture. Pour into pastry lined pie plate, top with butter, and top with remaining pastry round. Crimp edges and prick top of pastry with knife or fork to allow steam to escape. Brush pastry with a little buttermilk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.


Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 325 and bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown (and probably bubbling over!). I always bake fruit pies on a cookie sheet to catch spills. Mom always said a fruit pie isn't ready until it bubbles over and generally she is right.



Comments

artistdeb said…
Fran,
I found a comment you posted on Gluten Free Girls blog 4 years ago about your sister with RA and wondering about a gluten connection. I know there is a connection as my life changed 5 years ago when my diet changed.
NO MORE GLUTEN - NO MORE RA, IRRITABLE BOWEL, ETC...
I now live PAINFREE and GLUTENFREE. Check out my blog for a brief about my recovery journey. http://wheat-free.blogspot.com/
My Best to you. Deb

Popular Posts