Berry Cobbler


Seems as though my baking is driven by requests from DH. That's ok since he has more of a sweet tooth than me & I love baking. I have made this cobbler twice in the last 2 weeks. DH says he is craving berries. The first cobbler was made from all frozen berries but this time it was a combination of fresh & frozen. The colors are all natural & beautiful. I must admit that sometimes when I make cherry pie I do add a few drops of red food coloring. It was amazing how the fragrance of raspberries permeated the house during & after baking. The recipe is one that has developed over time. Sometimes I use cornstarch and sometimes tapioca as a thickening agent. I was out of cornstarch yesterday so I used tapioca. If you love berries (you can use a combination of just about anything you like) this is a great way to use them. I use my standard oil crust recipe (found in the November Archive) and you can use your favorite crust recipe.

Ingredients******
Raspberries (12 ounces fresh or frozen--used frozen this time)
Blackberries (12 ounces fresh or frozen--used fresh this time)
Sugar (1 cup--you may use less if you don't like it as sweet)
Lemon Juice (fresh from 1/2 lemon)
Nutmeg (dash)
Instant Tapioca (3 tablespoons)
Turbinado Sugar (Just a sprinkle over the top crust)

Mix berries in a large bowl. Mix dry ingredients. Pour lemon juice over berries & then pour dry ingredients over berries and mix to coat.

Line the bottom of pie plate with a layer of crust. Add fruit mixture. Cover with a layer of crust. Sprinkle with turbinado. This may be a solid layer of crust or a pattern or just free form pieces of crust. This is a cobbler & not a pie!

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for up to 50 minutes. Ovens vary, so watch carefully. I start checking mine at 30 minutes. When top crust is turning brown, I remove it from the oven.

Notes--This is not an exact recipe. You may use a little more or less of any berries you choose. I have used different combinations with success--strawberries, blueberries, golden raspberries, cherries. If you prefer a less sweet dessert, just use less sugar. If you don't have lemon juice use orange, lime, or grapefruit. Use less tapioca if you like a juicier treat. This goes great with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.

Comments

K and S said…
ooh, this sounds great! maybe with some vanilla ice cream??

Kat
Anonymous said…
Fran,

I don't blame DH for asking for this dessert ... it looks divine. I love cobblers and nothing is better than berry cobbler. We're still not in berry season here but we will be soon. I'll have to think of your cobbler to tide me over until then!
Kate Croft said…
This recipe reminds me of my mom's quick fruit cobbler...just put the fruit of choice in the pan and top it with a crumbled mixture of a stick of softened butter, a cup a sugar, a cup of flour, and a tablespoon of cinnamon, and bake at 350 for 30 mins...mmm the best!
Anonymous said…
This does look delicious! And I'm so glad you included variations, alternatives in the recipe such as the different juices and the tapioca.

Popular Posts