Breakfast Frittata




This morning's breakfast frittata was the result of a combination of things. First, DH declared he was tired of the usual and I have been reading 2 wonderful books. Sometime in the winter I acquired Mark Bittman's inspiring book--The Best Recipes in the World. The Pasta Frittata (Italy) on page 558 was the original inspiration for my modified recipe. The other interesting reading & inspiration comes from another book I've been delving into--The Silver Spoon. The Silver Spoon includes several variations of frittatas. I settled on the following ingredients--

1 medium white rose potato (grated & squeezed dry)
1 cup mozzarella cheese
4 slices of crispy cooked bacon (crumbled)
4 eggs (used 2 whole eggs & 2 whites)
4 tablespoons butter
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (to taste)

First, coat pan with vegetable spray & add 2 tablespoons of butter to melt.
Add potatoes to melted butter and cook until brown (essentially making hash browns).
Combine eggs, cheese, bacon, salt, pepper, pepper flakes and cooked potatoes in a bowl.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the pan and add the mixture to the pan.
Cook over medium heat until it starts to firm up. Transfer the pan to a preheated 400 degree oven & bake for about 10 minutes. It will be firm on top. Result--a big thumbs up from Mr. Meat & Potatoes Guy (he had to have ketchup on the side).

Notes--There are so many variations on this dish I think you can do what you want once you get the basic idea. Do want to try Bittman's original with pasta. I did not use a non-stick pan. When my last one was ready to go I vowed not to buy another because of the dangers of non-stick pans I had been reading about lately. Using the cooking spray and the fact that the recipe had butter added to the pan before cooking yielded good results.

These 2 books are so interesting. I'm having a great time reading them and thinking of what I would like to try next.

Comments

Valentina said…
I really like fritatas. The mozzarella you used, was it the yellow or white variety?
Anonymous said…
Looks dee-lee-cious! I like Mark's recipes. I enjoy watching his show.

I've read a lot of good things about The Silver Spoon.


Paz
Unknown said…
The frittata looks really delicious, what a nice thing to wake up in the morning to!
Hmm, what is white rose potato? I've never seen them in Singapore before.
Laura Rebecca said…
Wow, Fran, that looks good. I think you've inspired me to make a frittata for dinner!
Anonymous said…
Hi Fran,

Great post! I hadn't realized that you'd posted (curse bloglines!). You know a lot of people have been talking about Bittman's book. Glad you're enjoying it!

Popular Posts