Thursday, March 16, 2006

Bok Choi Colcannon




Colcannon is something we have enjoyed around our table before I even knew to call it that. I have made many variations of this potato dish using cabbage of various kinds and onions of many kinds also. Being a tradition at this time of the year, I knew it was time to make it again, this time trying something yet different. I recently discovered an asian market not too far away and they have a wonderful produce department. We enjoy bok choi made other ways and since it is in the cabbage family I thought it would make a perfect combination along with green onions & potatoes for this year's colcannon. My "recipe" is not really a precise one but it works for me. I used several large russet potatoes--peeled, chunked and boiled in salted water. Stir fried about a pound of baby bok choi & 1 bunch of green onions in about 2 tablespoons of butter. The bok choi & onions were roughly chopped. Mashed the potatoes (this time with about a half stick of butter and a bit of half & half) & then added the almost browned greens to the potatoes & mixed them together. Very good as the bok choi is quite mild & the green onion added just the right extra something.

You will want to visit http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/ for all of the great Weekend Herb Blogging.

11 Comments:

Blogger Typical INgredients said...

Hi Fran,

How are you?

Oh boy I love Bok-Choi or Bok-Choy - a favorite of mine...

You did well with the potato combo...wow it looks delicious and simple...Thanks for sharing the ideas!

Have a great weekend!

Tin

17 March, 2006 11:42  
Anonymous sher said...

Well, colcannon is one of my favorite things to eat. I've never made it with bok choy, but I know it would be delicious. Yum!

18 March, 2006 19:31  
Anonymous Gini said...

That is a nice pic of the bokchoys..Colcannon,never heard of that dish? Is it American or Irish?

19 March, 2006 10:48  
Blogger Fran said...

Hi Tin--Hope YOU are having a good weekend!
Sher--I really liked the mild taste of the bok choy but think the green onions helped the dish too.
Hello Gini--traditional Irish. Lots of people serve it around St. Patrick's Day. There are lots of versions of it.
Good to see everyone!

19 March, 2006 10:55  
Blogger valentina said...

Hi Fran, I'm a big fan of bok choi. I love stir frying it with a bit of shoyo. As for the irish dish, not familiar with it. Should do some research.

19 March, 2006 12:05  
Blogger Kalyn said...

Fran, looks great. I love the baby bok choi.

19 March, 2006 13:17  
Anonymous Ivonne said...

Fabulous!

I once saw a show on the Food Network where they travelled to Ireland and had someone make authentic colcannon. I remember my mouth watering. That's how I felt when I saw your photo ... and what a great idea with the bok choy!

19 March, 2006 18:05  
Blogger Ed Tep said...

Fran - I would never have thought to combine bok choy with potatoes! Great idea!

20 March, 2006 00:15  
Blogger eatzycath said...

interesting use of our "siew pak choy" (cantonese for "little white vegetable", our local name for bokchoy), must try it one day!

20 March, 2006 08:38  
Blogger Chloe said...

I tried something like this at a Scottish Festival.. and it was scallions, green cabbage and mashed. I used ot make it in bulk and eat it... YUM! Makes me want to make a batch! :)

01 May, 2006 12:43  
Blogger SugarCocoon said...

Thanks for this recipe, will definitely have to try it! I lvoe bok choy and m constantly thinking of ways to cook it besides stir frying with oyster sauce.

22 August, 2006 23:17  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home