Christmas Eve Granita


Thought we would go a little light on the dessert last night so I came up with something I had wanted to make for a while--Granita. It was sweet but refreshing. Would be nice during hot summer months too.

Ingredients

Spearmint Tea (2 cups brewed with 4 teaspoons of tea)
Sugar (1/2 cup)
Lemoncillo (1 tablespoon)

Procedure

Boil 2 cups water and add the sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves and add tea.
Brew for about 5 minutes. Strain tea into a 9 inch metal cake pan and stir in the Lemoncillo. Place pan in freezer. Check about every 30 minutes until ice begins to form. When mixture begins to freeze scrape with the tines of a fork and replace in freezer. Repeat this process until everything is frozen and about the consistency of snow cone ice. Serve in scoops on a plate or a nice glass.

Comments

ScaryShari said…
Not only do you share nice recipes, but your photos are GREAT! :) I could almost taste this granita. I'm a photog myself, so I always enjoy good images, and I especially enjoy still lifes involving food! I'm glad I discovered your blog via Clare, whose blogs I discovered via my longtime friend Milgwimper. If all that is followable! *chuckle*

Anyway, I had a question about "lemoncillo". Is that a liqueur? I found several references to it as such on Google and it sounds tasty. However, Google also suggested I type it "limoncello", and when I did, I got an additional 498,000+ search results! (LOL)

Whatever the spelling, I've never heard of it or seen it before, but I bet I'd like it, as I love anything citrusy. Many of my favourite "froo-froo" cocktails involve citrus liqueurs, in fact. Cointreau, anyone?

Hope you're having a happy holiday season. :)
Shari
Anonymous said…
Hi Fran, this looks so delicious and refreshing - I was just making lemon sorbet with home made limoncello too! Happy holidays.
Anonymous said…
Oh, yum! Great idea! Thanks!
Paz
*fanny* said…
This looks so refreshing Fran.

Hope you had a great xmas.
I spent all my time cooking for 15 people and it has been so exciting.

xoxo
Fanny
Anonymous said…
Fran, this is something refreshingly new,got to try this one :)

Popular Posts