Lemon Meringue Pie


Wanting to make use of the beautiful lemons hanging on the tree just a step off the patio, I decided to make a lemon pie. Perfect weather here in The Valley of the Sun today. Lemon pie has been a favorite in my family. I really enjoyed baking today. Picking the lemons off the tree and smelling that wonderful, fresh scent of lemon. The fragrance filled the house and reminded me that it really won't be that long until the citrus is in bloom again. Nothing can match that smell--if it could only be captured! The recipe I used today is nothing that unusual, but it is a good one. I have a great collection of cookbooks from County Extension groups, churches, and other community organizations. This particular recipe is from the Oklahoma Centennial Cookbook (A century of Logan County Cooking 1889-1989). The book came to me from Mom who received it as a gift from my sister.

Ingredients

1 Baked 9" pastry Shell (See previous post)

Filling:
Sugar (1 cup)
Cornstarch (1/4 cup)
Salt (1/4 tsp)
Water (1 1/2 cup)
Egg Yolks (3)
Butter (2 tbsp)
Lemon Juice (1/3 cup)
Grated Lemon Rind (1 1/2 tsp)

Meringue:
Egg Whites (3)
Sugar (6 tbsp)

Procedure:
Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt in double boiler top, gradually blend in water. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened. Cover, cook 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, beat together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar. Blend a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then stir all into hot mixture in double boiler top. Cook over boiling water 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from boiling water. Add butter, lemon juice and lemon rind. Cool. Pour into cooled, baked pastry shell. Spread meringue on pie filling. Bake 15-20 minutes on 350 degree oven.

Notes--I don't own a double boiler so I just used 2 different sizes of sauce pans. I used a copper saucepan for cooking the actual filling and placed lemon rinds in the water in the larger pot which holds the boiling water and I do double duty--not only cooking the filling but polishing my copper pan at the same time!

Happy Baking,
Fran

Comments

Unknown said…
how lucky u are to have a lemon tree in your backyard, and those lemons look absolutely perfect!
Anonymous said…
Yeah! I think its' so cool to have your own lemon tree!

Paz
Ghone said…
I so love lemon merg pie!
Must have a word with 'she who must be obeyed'!
Fran said…
Hi Eatzycath & Paz--We do love our lemon trees. So nice to pick them fresh--not as perfect looking as grocery store fruit, but oh the taste!

Hi Ghone--I laughed at your comment-We use that phrase around here a lot! We were great fans of Rumpole of the Bailey and started using 'she who must be obeyed' all of the time after viewing that series.
Anonymous said…
So great to find this one. Used it two years ago and lost it. It's exactly like one I used since I'm married,(60 years this May).
Thanks so much. It's the best, isn't it?

Popular Posts