Cranberry Scones with Orange Glaze





These scones were delicious this morning. It was cloudy and kind of cool so I was in a baking mood. The recipe is one I adapted from Tyler Florence's recipe from Food Network. I have used this recipe several times using different fruits--blueberries (original recipe) and raspberries (absolutely melt in your mouth) for the scones and have used both lemon and orange for the glaze.

Ingredients

Scones

Flour (2 cups)

Baking Powder (1 tablespoon)

Salt (1/2 teaspoon)

Sugar (2 tablespoons)

Butter (5 tablespoons, cold, cut in chunks)

Heavy Cream (1 cup, plus more for brushing the scones)

Cranberries (1 cup--or other fruit of your choice)

Glaze

Orange Juice (or lemon-1/2 cup, freshly squeezed)

Confectioners Sugar (2 cups)

Orange Zest (zest of one fruit, finely grated)

Butter (1 tablespoon)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sift together the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Using 2 forks or a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in the heavy cream. Fold everything together just to incorporate; do not overwork the dough. Fold the cranberries into the dough. (If you use blueberries or raspberries, be careful not to mash them since they will color your dough.)

Press dough into a rectangle about 12" x 3" x 1 1/4" on a floured surface. Cut the rectangle in 1/2 then and 1/2 again. Cut the squares in 1/2 on the diagonal. Place the scones on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush the tops with a little cream. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until light brown.

Mix the orange juice and confectioners sugar together in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. I microwaved mine in 30 second intervals until it got smooth. Add the zest and butter. Microwave for 30 seconds more. Stir until smooth and drizzle glaze over the top of the scones.

Happy Baking,

Fran

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like Tyler Florence. I've never made scones before. Yours look tempting! Another recipe to add to my list. Thanks, Fran!

Paz
Anonymous said…
Liked the food picture ,looks tempting ! Fran, is Orange Zest similar to Orange rind?
Fran said…
Hi Lera & Paz-yes, zest is just the orange part of the rind cut very fine. I have a handy little tool called a "zester". You can also just scrape the orange over a grater and save some time by not chopping by hand. Use the finest part of your grater. Hope you will both try making scones. I was afraid to until about 6 months ago and I found out they were really pretty easy and fast to put together.
Happy Baking,
Fran
Anonymous said…
Hi Fran! You're doing agreat job here! Those scones are now in my must -do list! They looks so good, though I don't know if I'll find cranberries here. I see and tell you about it. Besos
Anonymous said…
What yummy-sounding scones! And your little kitty (Tilly) in the post below is adorable!!! :)
Fran said…
Dreska--you must have been reading my mind-I am definitely planning some version of scones for Christmas morning--maybe with a cranberry glaze--hmmmm? Tattum-so glad you visited & hope you can find cranberries. Thank you for your encouragement. I always buy lots of cranberries this time of the year and freeze them. Thanks to Joey for stopping by and I shouldn't brag but my kitty is a sweetie. She is usually in the middle of the kitchen floor "supervising" when I cook.
Love To All,
Fran :)
*fanny* said…
Hi fran, i want to have one of he orange glaze...YUM
fanny
Michele said…
I haven't made scones in so long! I really need to try these.
sailu said…
Caught you thru michele's blog..those scones look yummy..:)
Joe said…
I've recently started enjoying scones! I like tyler too!
Annette Tan said…
Thanks for stopping by Greedy Goose, Fran. I'll have a go at your scones soon!
Happy Christmas.
Anonymous said…
Best scones I have ever had!! I make them all the time now!! Thanks so much!
Anonymous said…
I had never made scones before today. I actually used dark chocolate chips in this recie with the orange glaze and they were wonderful!

Popular Posts