Raisin Bread Pudding

Maybe it is the cooler weather (even in Arizona) that makes me think more about "comfort food". I had been thinking of making bread pudding when I read Fanny's post at Food Beam for her delicious chocolate cupcakes made in the microwave. Our favorite bread pudding is made in the microwave. Not only is it a time saver, but an energy saver too. I wouldn't not use my oven if it sacrificed on the taste but this pudding is as good as any made in the oven. So, Fanny, this is for you and anyone else who likes bread pudding.

Ingredients
Raisin Bread (4 cups cubed)
Raisins (1/4 cup)
Eggs (3)
Brown Sugar (1/2 cup, packed)
Vanilla (1 teaspoon)
Salt (dash)
Milk (2 cups)
Butter (2 tablespoons)
Cinnamon (to taste)
Nutmeg (to taste)

Procedure
-In a lightly greased microwave proof dish (I use a glass bundt pan), mix bread and raisins. --Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until well blended.
-In a 4 cup glass container heat milk and butter on high (maximum power) for 4 1/2 to 5
minutes or until steaming hot.
-Gradually stir in egg mixture.
-Pour over bread and raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon &/or nutmeg.
-Cover with waxed paper.
-Cook on half power (simmer) 12-14 minutes--ovens vary so the time may vary also.
-When cooked, center may be slightly soft but will set as pudding cools. Serve warm or
chilled.

Hints
-If you like maple syrup--drizzle a little over the top when serving warm pudding.
-If you are not using a bundt type pan you can place a microwaveable glass in the center of
your baking pan to make the same shape and your bread pudding will cook more evenly.
-I have made this with just a good textured bread and added rasins or dried blueberries,
cherries, cranberries or snipped apricots and it is delicious.
-I have had this recipe for a long time and am sure I got it with one of my early microwave
ovens.

Happy Baking,
Fran

Comments

*fanny* said…
Can't wait to try it. Thanx for the recipe.
xoxo
Fanny
Anonymous said…
Fran, your pudding did inspire me to bake another pudding at home with banana!

Popular Posts